No promotional emails on the beach
What if you could put all promotional emails on pause when you’re on vacation?
That’s exactly what many of your recipients are thinking. Giving customers/prospects/readers more control on which emails they receive and how frequently they receive them are some of the leading trends in email marketing. With regard to frequency, it’s often cited as the reason for unsubscribing.
MailUp comes to the rescue!
Why we built the Preference Center
MailUp’s new Preference Center was born out of five main ideas:
- No more ugly unsubscribe pages!!
- Recipients should be able to quickly subscribe/unsubscibe to/from multiple lists at once
- They should also have a say in how frequently they get emails from you
- When they’re on the beach, they may not want emails to pile up in their inbox
- They should have an easy way to update their email (and other info)
Let’s take a look.
No more ugly unsubscribe pages
When we started designing the new, innovative Preference Center, we first of all thought of those boring, ugly looking unsubscribe pages that you see all the time. Have you seen this before?
Exactly! As a marketer, is that really the experience that you want your recipients to have when they click on the unsubscribe link? No branding. None of your look & feel. No links. No reasons to stay subscribed.
In fact, what if they didn’t even want to fully unsubscribe, but simply reduce the frequency of the emails you are sending them? If you can’t offer them that option, it’s a sure unsubscribe. If you do, you might be able to retain that subscriber.
With MailUp’s new Preference Center, you can easily offer your readers/customers/prospects something like this…
Ah… much better!
Header and footer of those two pages are completely customizable, and there is full support for multi-list subscriptions (of course, you decide which ones of your lists will be shown).
Multi-list preferences should be quick and easy
MailUp is a multi-list environment. You can create all kinds of lists for all sorts of purposes: different lists for newsletters, promotions, product updates, internal communications, triggered messages after a sign-up… You name it. Some of those lists are lists that recipients subscribe to and unsubscribe from. Others, used for internal, non-commercial purposes, may not.
The Preference Center:
- Allows you, the sender, to easily pick which lists to show, rename them (the internal name may well be different from the customer-facing one), add a description, etc.
- Allows the recipient to easily subscribe and unsubscribe.
Recipients should have a say in how frequently they get emails…
As we mentioned, research shows that often subscribers unsubscribe because of a frequency issue. Allowing them to reduce the frequency might make the difference between keeping them as subscribers and not being able to do so. With MailUp’s new Preference Center, you can easily allow your subscribers to change frequency. For example, no more than one email per week.
… and pause them when they’re at the beach
Your daily specials are cool… but when your customers are on vacation, or taking a sabbatical, or at a work conference, they might want a break. Allowing them to pause those messages will likely increase their satisfaction as a recipient, and reduce the likelihood that they unsubscribe (or become overwhelmed and inactive).
The Preference Center allows them to easily set a stop and restart date.
Updating the email should be easy (… and do they like dark or sweet chocolate?)
The Preference Center also supports “Profile Updates”, which is another feature built into the MailUp platform. Profile Updates are forms that update the recipient profile.
You can use them to let them update their email address, but also to ask them for their name, what city they live in, … and whether they like dark or sweet chocolates.
In other words, the form is completely customizable. You choose what fields to show and how it should look.
Now, you can easily embed a Profile Update form into the Preference Center, like this:
Full control on your subscribers’ experience
Of cource, the MailUp admin console gives you full control on setting up the Preference Center so that it meets your needs.
- Pick which lists to show (some might be internal lists that should not be shown to your subscribers)
- Decide which features to enable/disable
- Pick which Profile Update form to use
- … and much more (see the User Guide for details)
Give it a try
- Already a MailUp customer? You can find the Preference Center in the Marketing+ menu (and details in the User Guide)
- New to MailUp? Sign up for a free trial or contact us for more info
… and let us know what you think in the comments below.