Xiaomi and the new e-commerce: the last frontier of shopping experience personalization
In this article
We asked the Chinese consumer electronics company about the secrets behind the success of its new e-commerce site launched in Mexico.
Personalization, omnichannel, and data integration. These are the key factors that allow creating unique shopping experiences based on consumer interests and needs.
But what strategy should be followed to create a personalized e-commerce site that can intercept users at every stage of their customer journey? We asked the Chinese company Xiaomi, which has expanded the frontiers of shopping experience and customer journey personalization with its new e-commerce site launched in Mexico, obtaining unexpected results in just 6 months.
How do you create a unique and personalized shopping experience?
If you want to create a unique shopping experience based on the needs and requirements of each individual consumer and you’re starting from scratch, without any kind of pre-existing information, follow these 4 objectives to build a strategy that puts the customer at the center of your choices:
- Create a community to build a database
- Create enjoyable experiences for consumers
- Generate engagement among users
- Optimize customer loyalty
What MailUp and Datatrics can do to personalize your e-commerce site
To achieve these objectives, tools such as the MailUp platform and integration with the Predictive Marketing platform Datatrics can give you a big hand.
The Datatrics-MailUp combination lets companies work on all levels of the funnel, in an automated and simple way.
Here’s a general overview showing what the two platforms allow you to do:
- Dynamic automation and personalization tools
- Advanced database management and GDPR compliant
- Dynamic catalog management
- Optimal deliverability and infrastructure
- Advanced transactional flow management and reporting
- Priority technical support
- Identification of site visitors and their purchasing phase
- Aggregation of data from internal (CRM, email, social networks, etc.) and external sources (demographic data, weather conditions, traffic intensity, etc.)
- Predict the interests of customers who interact with the website and emails
Using these tools, you can create a personalized e-commerce site by following these fundamental best practices:
- Create and grow a database with reliable data. With Datatrics you can implement a smart subscription pop-up for user registration and to acquire data for your database. You can also configure it according to your needs, setting whether to show or hide it depending on whether or not users are already registered and based on the their phase in the funnel.
- Website personalization. It analyzes the data collected and the profiles of your visitors to understand which products each user tends to view on your site. Use this information to implement pop-ups and showcases to display products based on each user’s browsing and purchasing history
- Segmentation. Analyzing user data will also be useful for creating key segments within your database and optimizing the content of your communications by creating targeted campaigns. The Mailup-Datatrics combination allows you to move from sending massive communications to a highly personalized one-to-one strategy, allowing you to listen to your users’ needs and anticipate them by sending personalized messages.
- Automated workflows. To facilitate the flow of personalized communications, you can set up automatic triggers using the Marketing Automation tools in the MailUp platform. Upselling, cross-selling, and abandoned cart strategies are essential email marketing communications that cannot be missing in an efficient e-commerce site.
Xiaomi’s strategy for the new e-commerce
To launch its new e-commerce site in Latin America, i.e., the first online store developed in VTEX IO in Mexico, Xiaomi took advantage of the technological support of Mailup and Datatrics.
Through their integration, Xiaomi successfully developed a customer-centric strategy, creating a highly personalized e-commerce site able to enrich users’ shopping experience at every stage of their customer journey.
In particular, thanks to Datatrics, Xiaomi was able to unify its customers’ data from various online channels into a single platform and identify interests, browsing, and purchasing behaviors to create 360-degree profiles.
By implementing subscription pop-ups displayed to the user according to their relative touchpoint and using carousel showcases to show each consumer the products most in line with their preferences and needs, it was possible to personalize the e-commerce platform of the Chinese giant in an advanced way.
That’s not all: the combination of Mailup, Datatrics, and VTEX allowed the company to concretely implement its personalization strategy through the management and automated sending of communications:
- personalized based on interests, products viewed, and abandoned carts
- relevant for each phase of the user’s customer journey
The advantages of a personalized e-commerce site: the objectives achieved by Xiaomi
The use of the MailUp platform with the Datatrics integration turned out to be the fundamental strategic choice for determining the success of this e-commerce site: with these technologies, Xiaomi was able to predict the interests of customers who interacted with the platform and build empathetic relationships through personalized content.
In concrete terms, Xiaomi’s e-commerce site achieved the following results just 6 months after opening:
- 78,000 subscribers to marketing emails
- 1.8 million emails sent
- 22% open rate
- 0.3% unsubscribed recipients.
In terms of revenues, the email and marketing automation channel brought in over 50,000 dollars and a return on advertising investment of 67:1.
To learn more
If you’d like to learn more about Xiaomi’s goals and strategy for the new e-commerce site, read the case study on the MailUp website!